As a salon, spa or clinic owner or manager, you are approached constantly to donate product or services to local fund-raising activities.
I was recently involved in sourcing donations for the silent auction at a primary school’s trivia night. While I was overwhelmed by the number and quality of donations, I was surprised at the number of companies that didn’t maximise the opportunity to gain more exposure for their business.
Of course I realise many people use it as an opportunity to just do a good deed, and perhaps clear discontinued or deleted stock in the process.
However, when managed correctly, there is a lot to be gained from supporting charitable events.
My Top 5 Tips for getting the most out of your charitable donation:
1. Make your display exciting. A gift voucher plonked on a table doesn’t excite people. Supply the organisers with some samples of products used in your salon, spa or clinic for display (it could be just empty bottles) or make up an A4 sheet of photos (slip it in a display stand) of your business and customers enjoying treatments.
2. Offer a promotion code. Why not use the opportunity to gain as much exposure as possible for your business by offering everyone involved in the event a special promotional discount? Ask the organisers to distribute flyers with that code to all attendees. If you have quiet times during the week, offer attendees a discount if they book during those times – for instance, 10 percent off on Tuesday morning.
3. Logo with web address. Most event organisers are happy to acknowledge your business’s support of their event by including your logo in material to promote the event given to attendees or on an electronic presentation. Have a special logo designed that includes your web address – this will make it easier for people to find your business after the event.
4. Social Media. Ask the organisers to acknowledge your support via social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn. Get them to tag your social media account in their post or take a photo of you handing over the donation that can be uploaded.
5. Advertise your support. Use social media and your client communications to advise current and prospective clients of the great work you are doing in the community.
Supporting charitable causes can not only raise your credibility among current clients but is a great way to get your product or service in front of hundreds or thousands of prospective new clients.
* Cindy Parker’s Four P’s Marketing Solutions assists small businesses with easy and cost-effective marketing activities including website text, PR activities, powerful promotions, plus logical and easy-to-implement marketing advice.