The latest in-clinic and at-home treatments for hair loss, according to the experts.
About half of all men are affected by the age of 50 and 49 per cent of women are affected by hair loss in their lifetime. Thankfully, a few hair loss pioneers in the modern aesthetic medicine field have developed hair restoration and regrowth treatments, from clinically-tested at-home applications to in-clinic hair transplants.
The hair restoration industry is currently on the rise, and projected to hit $12 billion globally by 2026. Genetics, pollution, sun damage, everyday stress and certain hairstyles are behind many hair loss conditions. And now with the stress-induced hair loss from COVID-19, men and women all over the world are searching for clinically-proven and long-lasting treatment options to restore their luscious locks.
Dr Andrew Kashian, founder of Illinois-based Solve Clinics & Hair Transplant, has been busy debunking myths around hair loss and introducing his clients to the latest and most innovative treatments on the market.
“We offer a variety of affordable, natural, and proven hair loss solutions and treatments,” says Dr Kashian. The clinic’s most-requested treatments, as explained by Dr Kashian, include:
- FUE Hair Transplants – Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is currently the most cutting-edge hair transplant procedure available on the market. This permanent hair loss solution is scarless, pain-free, and allows for a short recovery time compared to more dated hair transplant procedures.
- PRP Hair Treatments – Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is an increasingly popular natural treatment option for hair restoration. The procedure involves drawing blood, separating it into its component parts, then re-injecting the platelet-rich plasma back into the scalp. Platelets contain growth factors that are released around the hair follicles, which can improve hair density and preserve thinning hair. PRP injections are an effective way to treat hair loss, whether as a standalone treatment or in conjunction with a hair transplant.
- Exosome – There are many options for hair loss that can help slow down hair loss, but good options for thicker hair are few and far between. Stem cell therapy is at the forefront for new treatments, and included in that is exosome therapy. Exosomes are stem cell-derived and stimulate the body’s own natural powerful regenerative and growth pathways. It is an exciting new treatment that has been shown in early studies to have a much stronger effect in terms of thickening hair than doing current treatments such as PRP. In the fight against hair loss, exosomes are the newest and most powerful tool at our disposal.
“Our FUE Hair Transplant is one of our most popular hair loss treatments,” Dr Kashian explains. “The treatment is less painful and invasive than FUT (Follicular unit transplantation), and it offers a fast recovery time and healing process with no linear scarring. In addition to being an all-natural and affordable solution, FUE treatments are popular because of their ability to match the natural hairline and restore bald spots. The treatment is not only a proven solution for hair loss, but it helps to improve many patients’ day-to-day confidence.”
In Australia, Venus Concept’s NeoGraft (an FUE treatment) has become a mainstay in the hair regeneration sector, offering a minimally-invasive and scar-free alternative to traditional hair transplant surgery. Since its local launch in 2020, NeoGraft FUE hair treatments have become a favourite among leading plastic surgeons including, Dr Lisa Friederich, Dr Michael Zacharia and Dr Anh Nguyen.
For patients looking to level-up their clinical hair treatments, The Secret has just launched their new Hair Growth Foam. Founded by Dr Clara Hurst and Dr Deb Cohen-Jones, this new medically-proven formula works to stimulate hair growth from the follicle, whilst simultaneously strengthening hair strands and nourishing the scalp for healthier, thicker, and longer hair.
“The Hair Growth Foam will only enhance in-clinic hair treatments,” the co-founders tell us. “When it comes to prescription treatments versus in-clinic treatments we always tell patients to think of it this way: would you purchase a Ferrari just to fill it up with 91? The same way you want to maintain the condition of your car, you want to maintain the results of your treatments! The ingredients in our Hair Growth Foam are often prescribed after hair transplant or hair replacement surgeries to enhance the regrowth of transplanted hair. It can also eliminate shock loss and controls future hair loss of non-transplanted hair.”
Whilst the hair restoration market for women remains largely untapped compared to that for men, The Secret formulas are tailored specifically to male or female users. “The Men’s Hair Growth Foam contains an additional ingredient that works to block the enzyme that converts testosterone into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone that can weaken hair follicles. We included the ingredient in the Men’s formulation to further enhance their results, as high DHT levels are one of the leading causes for hair loss in men. The topical application of this ingredient can help to prevent this hair loss,” Dr Hurst and Dr Cohen-Jones explain.
Also growing in popularity are beard transplant procedures, designed to increase the density of the beard and essentially restore confidence in those looking to grow facial hair (which could especially be a game-changer for trans men). The procedure is similar to that of hair transplants, with hair extracted from the back of the head and transplanted into the beard. Dr Kashian explains: “The procedure is completed in three simple steps, extraction of the hair, creation of a site for the implant, and injection of the PRP in the area of thinning. The procedure is ideal for beards with small areas needing more density; the procedure is a quick and comfortable way to improve a beard’s overall look.”
So what’s next for hair loss treatments? Well, a research centre in Japan is currently conducting a clinical trial at the RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research to regenerate lost hair from stem cells. The recipe essentially guarantees continuous cyclical regeneration of cultured hair follicles from hair follicle stem cells through a bioengineering or cloning process. Final conclusions are yet to be found, but we’ll be watching this space closely to find out what the future holds for hair rejuvenation.
DID YOU KNOW
There are 5 ways you can catch up with SPA+CLINIC?
- Our quarterly print magazine, delivered to your door. Subscribe here.
- Our website, which is updated daily with its own completely unique content and breaking news.
- Our weekly newsletter – free to your inbox! Subscribe here.
- Our digital magazine – click here to view previous issues.
- Our social media – see daily updates on our Instagram, Facebook & Linkedin