June 9th Is Global Wellness Day
This Saturday June 9th will commemorate Global Wellness Day, an annual worldwide celebration of humanity that encourages everyone to take a step toward a healthier lifestyle, and to live well both physically and spiritually. It’s no wonder the spa industry has embraced the day since its very inception!
Global Wellness Day is a not-for-profit project, with aims including:
- To recognise the value of our lives
- To pause and think, even if for just one day of the year
- To be free from the stress of everyday city life and bad habits
- To make peace with ourselves
- To raise awareness about living well and increase motivation, not just for today, but for the remaining 364 days of the year
Launching in 2012, Global Wellness Day was established in Turkey as the first day dedicated to living well, and has now been accepted worldwide. Those wishing to participate are encouraged to host celebratory events to generate further awareness and spread the significance of holistic wellness around the globe. As of 2017, Global Wellness Day is officially celebrated in over 100 countries.
Globally renowned luxury spas and resorts around the world will be hosting guest events this Saturday in celebration, including Shangri-La, The Ritz, Four Seasons, Intercontinental, Grand Hyatt and Mandara Spa, just to name a few. A list of global participants can be found here.
Guest experiences we’re seeing this year include sunrise and sunset yoga sessions, healthy lunches, sporting challenges, spin classes and aquatic therapies.
So what can you do to get involved? Here are a few ideas you can implement in your spa or clinic:
- Prepare some brochures for your clients to raise awareness
- Share info about the day to your newsletter database
- Post some motivational quotes of affirmations on your social media, or display them around the salon
- Brew a range of healthy teas or fruit-infused water for your clients on arrival
- Offer some healthy snacks and/or supplements post-treatment
- Host your own in-salon event; perhaps a yoga or meditation session
- Live stream it on your Facebook page
- Host a brunch – think fruit platters, juice and raw treats
- Gift your clients some sample-sized treats in the way of essential oils, supplements, incense etc.
- And most importantly, share the official GWD tips:
- Walk one hour
- Drink more water
- Don’t use plastic bottles
- Eat organic, locally sourced produce
- Do a good deed
- Eat a family dinner
- Go to bed at 10pm
As Global Wellness Day Founder Belgin Aksoy Berkin says, “one day can change your whole life.”