TAFE NSW is helping the next generation of salon managers take their skills to the next level with the launch of a Diploma in Salon Management delivered by virtual classroom.
A robust education is the backbone of the beauty and aesthetics industry. Whether you’re starting out your career, or wanting to further develop skills learned in the workplace, seeking formal training is always a great option. Now, those seeking training in salon management have a new education pathway with the launch of TAFE NSW’s new Diploma, which can be obtained virtually. The nationally recognised course aims to develop the specialist management skills needed to start or grow a salon business in the personal services industry.
TAFE NSW predicts significant growth across all beauty industry areas in the next few years, with demand for beauty therapists alone expected to increase by 20% by 2024. Addressing this demand, their virtual Diploma in Salon Management course is set to prepare qualified professionals for careers in management.
TAFE NSW Head of Skills Team Tourism and Experience Services, Cheryl Ballinger said the course is targeted at those working in or looking to start a hair, beauty, or nail salon or barber shop.
“Until now, the Diploma of Salon Management had been available at limited campuses, by developing a virtual course students can now access the course from anywhere in NSW,” said Ms Ballinger.
“Students attend weekly virtual sessions and learn the practical tools to effectively manage day-to-day salon operations including managing staff performance, marketing their business, and making strategic business decisions.”
There are no entry requirements for the course leaving it open to anyone with an interest in joining the beauty communiting or accelerating existing career options. It will aim to develop skills in three key areas;
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Manage staff: performance, hiring, training and dismissals
- Complete stocktake and ordering of products
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships
- Implement marketing and promotion activity
- Apply safe work practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Effective communication skills with the desire to help people
- People management experience
- A hard-working attitude and ability to work as part of a team
- Conflict management techniques with the ability to problem solve and make decisions
- The emotional intelligence and patience for effective leadership
- Great time management and digital literacy skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Skills and knowledge to start and manage your own business
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
The Diploma in Salon Management is offered part-time over nine months and is still open for enrolment.
You can learn more about studying the Diploma in Salon Management at TAFE NSW, visit www.tafensw.edu.au or 13 16 01.
DID YOU KNOW
There are 5 ways you can catch up with SPA+CLINIC?
- Our quarterly print magazine, delivered to your door. Subscribe here.
- Our website, which is updated daily with its own completely unique content and breaking news.
- Our weekly newsletter – free to your inbox! Subscribe here.
- Our digital magazine – click here to view previous issues.
- Our social media – see daily updates on our Instagram, Facebook & Linkedin