While businesses are back open in most states, there is still help available from the government.
If you’re a spa, clinic, or salon owner and have lost a significant amount of income due to COVID-19, chance are you’re eligible for the government’s $3,000 small business recovery grant.
“This grant helps small businesses get back to business by meeting the costs of safely reopening or upscaling operations,” it says on the government’s website.
To be eligible for this grant, you must as at 1 March 2020:
- be a small business or a not-for-profit organisation (see guidelines) based in NSW
- have an ABN registered in NSW (make sure all your business details are up to date on the Australian Business Register – this is used to determine eligibility)
- have an annual turnover of more than $75,000 (a Business Activity Statement must be provided as evidence).
Where a small business does not submit a BAS to the Australian Tax Office, and meets all other criteria, the small business should contact Service NSW to discuss further. In these cases, an income tax declaration may be accepted as evidence of an annual turnover of $75,000.
- employ less than 20 full-time equivalent (FTE) staff (non-employing businesses can apply)
- be able to report a payroll below the NSW 2019-2020 payroll tax threshold of $900,000
- be in a highly impacted industry by the Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order 2020 (see guidelines)
- have experienced at least 30% decline in turnover from March to July 2020 compared to the equivalent period (of at least 2 weeks) in 2019
- have costs associated with safely reopening or up-scaling your business from 1 July 2020.
The grant can be used to make fit-out changes, provide staff training and counselling, cover advertising and communications expenses and purchase cleaning products or services.
This grant can only be used for purchases of eligible expenses made from 1 July 2020, and only where no other government support is available.
So if you’ve been wanting to make changes to your clinic’s or spa’s fit-out, maybe to make it more COVID-safe, or invest in your team who would have had to learn a lot of new protocols recently, this grant will come in very handy and is only a few clicks away. Make sure you make use of all the help from the government you can get in this difficult time.
Click here to read all the details and to apply for the small business grant. Applications close 11:59pm Sunday 16 August 2020.