Treat yourself for an excellent cause.
Trigger warning: Domestic abuse. If this article is distressing for you or if you need support in regard to sexual assault, domestic or family violence, please call 1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732 for 24/7 phone and online services. If you, a child, or another person is in immediate danger, call 000 now.
From 16 May to 27 May 2022, Sydney-based beauty school SEIR is offering treatments in exchange for donations to support the work of the Women’s & Girls’ Emergency Centre (‘WAGEC’).
SEIR has chosen May to launch their ‘Love Does Not Hurt’ campaign to coincide with Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month – an annual event dedicated to raising community awareness around domestic and family violence, while aiming to support those affected.
If you’ve been looking for an excuse to treat yourself to a massage, facial, or other beauty treatment, there has never been a better time or worthier cause. In Australia, we are at a crisis point when it comes to violence against women with Our Watch reporting some incredibly distressing statistics:
- On average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner
- 1 in 3 women (30.5%) has experienced physical violence since the age of 15
- 1 in 5 women (18%) has experienced sexual violence since the age of 15
- 1 in 3 women (31.1%) has experienced physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by a man they know
- 1 in 4 women (23%) has experienced physical or sexual violence by a current or former intimate partner since age 15
- 1 in 4 Australian women (23%) has experienced emotional abuse by a current or former partner since the age of 15
- Almost 10 women a day are hospitalised for assault injuries perpetrated by a spouse or domestic partner
SEIR’s Founder and CEO, Samantha Elliott explains that “being an organisation that is 100 per cent female-led as well as the majority of our students being female” played a big role in SEIR choosing to get behind WAGEC’s work protecting “women who are experiencing domestic violence and at their most vulnerable.”
“The Women and Girls Emergency Centre in Redfern have been doing amazing work in Sydney and have forged a wonderful reputation for the difference they are making in women’s lives. They support women and children impacted by homelessness, domestic violence, and systemic disadvantage. We were truly in awe of the fact that the WAGEC support 200 women and children every night through providing material aid, case management, psychological services, accommodation and crisis response.”
If you’d like to take up SEIR’s offer, you can enjoy a range of beauty services such as a facial, massage, manicure, pedicure, lash lift, lash tint, brow shaping, body waxing, and makeup application.
“You can donate as little as $1 or as much as you would like for any beauty treatment of your choice at SEIR Beauty School, and every single dollar will go directly to the Women & Girls Emergency Centre Redfern to support domestic violence awareness. We will essentially pamper you for the day and your donation will go directly go to such an amazing organisation and cause,” explains Elliott.
If you have a business yourself, we hope this may inspire you to collect donations for WAGEC from your clients, too, or, if you’re keen to get yourself booked in, be quick – this offer is just on from 16 May to 27 May 2022. Call SEIR on (02) 9960 2636 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking.
Read SPA+CLINIC’s latest issue here:
There are 5 ways you can catch up with SPA+CLINIC?
- Our quarterly print magazine, delivered to your door. Subscribe here.
- Our website, which is updated daily with its own completely unique content and breaking news.
- Our weekly newsletter – free to your inbox! Subscribe here.
- Our digital magazine – click here to view previous issues.
- Our social media – see daily updates on our Instagram, Facebook & Linkedin